Kidkraft Playhouse Makeover!

12:12 PM


Good morning everyone! Long time, no talk. A lot has changed the last couple of years, including having a little baby girl named Ella back in November 2019. She's the greatest!

Ella is now 18 months old and I wanted to get her a playhouse to begin "make believe play-time." All of the houses I found online were ugly colors of red and yellow or plastic. After much research (and measuring) and I decided to buy the Kidkraft Cedar Summit Greystone Cottage Playhouse (pictured below).




The process took about 2 weeks to complete from unpacking the box, staining, spray painting and assembly. We decided to stain the cedar house instead of painting it as we have heard that painting cedar is a big no-no. We went with Pinto White (BEHR PREMIUM White Base Solid Color Waterproofing Exterior Wood Stain and Sealer) for the entire house. Important to make sure you get the SOLID color. We stained the entire house with 4 coats outside and 3 coats inside with 1 gallon.









For the roof, I was torn. I love the look of the all white house, but last minute, decided to stain the roof Slate Black using the same BEHR PREMIUM Base Solid Color Waterproofing Exterior Wood Stain and Sealer.





We also spray painted all the windows black with Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2X 12 oz. Flat Black General Purpose Spray Paint. We had to do 2-3 coats and already noticed that some places were already chipping. I would suggest lightly sanding each window before spray painting it so the paint can adhere better than ours did. We also took out the main front window on the right side as it comes pre-assembled to easily paint it. I tried taping that window off and painting around it and it was too difficult.




We decided to put the house in a hidden corner of our backyard where we have a fountain so our daughter could feel like that space was her own.




I also wanted to accessorize the outside of the house (I still need to find a good size American Flag) with a welcome mat and planter box. I had such a hard time finding a mini mat for the front of her playhouse but finally found one on Etsy through Palm Pine Shop. I didn't see the exact wording "Welcome" like I wanted, so Ally made me a custom mat and it turned out amazing! I can't wait to order more holiday mats for Ella's playhouse!

For all the accessories: mailbox, chimney, faucet, sink knobs, arrows for the clocks, and phone, we spray painted those all black with the same paint for the windows: Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2X 12 oz. Flat Black General Purpose Spray Paint. I also spray painted the sink and stove white using the same spray paint in Flat White. We also need to add the mailbox on which will be installed under the left window. The instructions say to put it on the front door but we wanted to add address numbers there instead. For the house numbers, we went with an Etsy shop as well called Go Home Numbers. We did the 3 inch in Black numbers with no holes (you can get the option to have holes to drill them in) and used Gorilla glue overnight before we installed the door. We picked 1109 as Ella was born November 9.

I went to Hobby Lobby and Michael's and got a 15 inch wreath for the door, a 13 inch planter box (which I found on clearance and spray-painted the metal stand black as it was brown) and  faux white carpet roses to go inside the planter.

On a side note, I still might stain the door black or a different color as I wasn't sure how it would all look once it was assembled. I would then have to take the address numbers off and paint them white, which isn't a big deal. For now, Ella loves it as do I.

Here is the finished product! We are so happy how is turned out and can't wait to decorate it for 4th of July.



Here are all the items used to complete this project.




If you have any questions about the process, feel free to leave a comment!

You Might Also Like

0 comments